Pages

Wednesday, 28 May 2014

These Days






I'm strangely fascinated by the everyday lives of normal people. I think it's so interesting to find out how other people live, the little things they get up to. Some kids in my Media class produced "A Day in the Life" stop-motion films lately and I thought I'd try my hand at doing the same sort of thing using photographs so here's my Saturday!

The above photos were my outfit for the day. They were taken at the beach where it was unfortunately sort of grey and windy and I got dressed in like 4 seconds so the outfit is a little bleugh. The top is just a basic navy thingy from H&M which I paired with a scarf crocheted by my 85 year old neighbour. My jeans are new and from ASOS. I really like them as they are really really highwaisted and fit well (aside from a little too much length in the leg which was nothing a pair of scissors couldn't fix..)

Outfit sorted, this is what I got up to!



9:30 am
Banana bread and tea for breakfast. I'm currently reading The Post Office Girl by Stefan Zweig and can confirm banana bread compliments the story perfectly

10:00 am
Dove into a sea of homework/exam revision. It was awful; I can't wait for school holidays next month

2:00 pm
Audrey and I caught up on some Seinfeld

4:00 pm
I first found New York based knitwear brand Degen on tumblr where pictures of grid pattern socks and underwear cropped up constantly. I researched the brand a little further and found a strangely affordable online store and an amazing FW14 collection. It sorta reminds me of Danny Torrence from The Shining's homemade Apollo jumper which has been at the very top of my wishlist since forever. Here are some of my favourite pieces:







I find the colour combinations in these pieces so pleasing. Lindsay Degen, the creative brain behind the brand, said she loves mixing bright, neon colours with "dirty" shades of the body. I spent a faaaair bit of time online Saturday afternoon scouring the web for any Degen-esque pieces. Etsy produced some good results but I think I might save up and buy something from the brand itself



 5:00 pm
When I found Made by Hand by Lena Corwin in my local library,  was struck with a sense of familiarity. Where had I seen these simplistic designs and marbling and tie-dying techniques before? The answer: one of my favourite bloggers Lauren Winter. Her blog often features her own take on projects from Made by Hand and finished pieces can be purchased from her Etsy store. I'm very eager to try the screen printing project when I have a little more time to play with



6:30 pm
My friend Bronywn is starring in a stage production of Macbeth and will be taking the show to Europe at the end of the year! The theatre company held a fundraising night and Keira and I showed u to give Bronwyn some moral support, enjoy the performances, rounds of trivia and nibbles!

Bronwyn performed her first ever solo with Amy Winehouse's version of Valerie by The Zutons which was AMAZING! I only wish I could follow her around Europe and see every Macbeth performance

A huge raffle was held and I was lucky enough to score a hamper stuffed with beauty bits and pieces. I'm not a big makeup person but the pack featured some everyday items I'm really looking forward to trying, like:


JoBaz Everyday Straight Hair
I'm extremely apprehensive about trying something that may fizzle/destroy what little hair I actually have but the growing-out-pixie stage I'm currently in has left me with a Harry Styles crop every morning. It's impossible to tame and I need a solution. I've heard some good shtuff about JoBaz Everyday Straight Hair so fingers crossed it does the trick!


Skin Clarity Starter Kit
Clear skin would be really handy because then I could wake up and be FLAWLESS like Beyonce says. 'll give this a go to achieve my Queen Bey aspirations

Anyone else as obsessed with Degen as I am? Leave a comment below!

11 comments:

  1. ee I get really excited to read your posts! I love that knitwear - the first sweater, the magic crop and the bobble hat are my favourites! It would be so cool to wear a whole wool outfit :O
    hugs!

    http://roseandvintage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg as if! I've been reading your blog for so long!x

      Delete
  2. I love degen! Have you seen the styelikeu second skin video on youtube where lindsay degen does a wardrobe swap? She's so awesome. I could literally spend whole days watching those vids.
    Lovely post!

    http://www.sylviedart.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have! I love how that episode brings up the way people use clothing to control the attention they get from other people x

      Delete
  3. Lovely post! I wish i had a nice elderly neighbor who knitted me rainbow scarves (that scarf is truly amazing). It looks like you had a nice day! Degen's designs are so beautful i want to wear everything you posted by them.
    XX

    Styleriottt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely one of the selling points for our house!

      Delete
  4. That scarf is brilliant, what a handy neighbour to have! Degen are the greatest, I am a big fan of all their things. I learned to knit so I could attempt something Degenesque! Lally X

    lallymacbeth.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really tempted to take it up but I know I'll never be able to make anything as fab as Degen!

      Delete
  5. Degen is so colourful and I want all of it really badly. Ahhh why have you introduced me to this? I am now destined to become penniless... penniless but with damn cosy clothes. I never thought I'd be considering buying knitted underwear.. Anyway, it was a really nice post and I liked the "day-in-a-life" thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me and my bank account feel your pain...

      Delete
  6. Degen is brilliant. Your day sounds brilliant as well (minus the studying!)
    bella
    http://sincerelyisabella.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete